Rail Victoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for railways based in the state of Victoria, Australia.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

John So... The Rail Operator?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Yellow 13
Administrator
Administrator
Yellow 13

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-05-18

John So... The Rail Operator? Empty
PostSubject: John So... The Rail Operator?   John So... The Rail Operator? EmptySun May 27, 2007 7:09 am

The Herald Sun: 27/05/07 wrote:
A BOLD bid to take over Melbourne's troubled rail and tram systems and run-down Flinders St Station is on the agenda for Melbourne Council.

A special meeting of council on Tuesday will consider investigating opportunities to take control of the city's public transport network and fading station.

Partnerships with big business and/or other councils would be considered.

It comes as frustrated commuters have arranged a public meeting calling for train operator Connex to be sacked for failing to provide a good service.

Connex's contract to run the metro rail network and Yarra Trams' deal to operate the tram system both expire next year.

A coalition of councillors is also keen for the city to buy Flinders St Station from the State Government and transform it into a world-class transport, entertainment and retail hub.

The motion asking for the feasibility study will be put forward by Cr Peter Clarke.

Melbourne's public transport network was privatised in 1999, but has been dogged by performance failures, cost blowouts and claims of under-investment.

"The contracts for the operation of the public transport system are up soon and to ensure people get the best deal the State Government should allow all interested parties to bid for the opportunity to run it," Cr Clarke said.

"There is no reason we shouldn't seek to invest in public transport.

"I don't believe either Yarra Trams or Connex have run the services particularly well and they are struggling to provide a system of the quality that we deserve. But they are still running at a profit," Cr Clarke said.

"There is huge potential in Flinders St Station for major retail and for entertainment. It is probably the best development opportunity in Melbourne."

Train services should also be improved, Cr Clarke said.

"You cannot expect people to want to use public transport when it is a Third World experience.

"I also believe there is potential, especially in the inner grid, for an expansion of tram services."

Specific areas where new public transport services were needed included Docklands, Doncaster and Port Melbourne, he said.

The meeting on Thursday to call for Connex to be sacked has been organised by Linkup Melbourne, a new group supported by Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace, Zero Emissions Now and the Public Transport Users Association.

The Government has said it is considering its approach to the public transport system's future.
Back to top Go down
https://railvictoria.forumotion.com
Metro Transit

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2007-05-19

PostSubject: Re: John So... The Rail Operator?   John So... The Rail Operator? EmptyTue May 29, 2007 4:23 am

Hmm, i dont think that will work, i hear the council is pretty strapped for cash,and even if they could run it, they cant take it from Connex, and i doubt the government will give it to them.

Metro.
Back to top Go down
TRANZIT JIM
Station Master
Station Master

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2007-05-28

PostSubject: Re: John So... The Rail Operator?   John So... The Rail Operator? EmptyTue May 29, 2007 4:29 am

Hum.

All Melbourne lines lead to Melbourne City, to where the Melbourne city council is.

What about the operation of 'cross city' routes. Would they be against them as they do not take people into the city? Not an issue with todays trains, but there are 4 such tram routes which do not go near the city.

As for the Alamein and Williamstown shuttles, I wonder if, on the basis I have stated above, would they start to run them all 'through to the city'?
Back to top Go down
Yellow 13
Administrator
Administrator
Yellow 13

PostSubject: Re: John So... The Rail Operator?   John So... The Rail Operator? EmptyTue May 29, 2007 4:51 am

I shudder to think of the advertising! Twisted Evil

JOHN SO!
HE'S MY BRO!
Back to top Go down
Metro Transit

PostSubject: Re: John So... The Rail Operator?   John So... The Rail Operator? EmptyThu May 31, 2007 4:40 pm

Well the MCC is very broke and now are having some 'cut backs' with staff, that should take their minds of things.
Back to top Go down
Yellow 13
Administrator
Administrator
Yellow 13

PostSubject: Re: John So... The Rail Operator?   John So... The Rail Operator? EmptyThu May 31, 2007 4:51 pm

John So... The Rail Operator? Rg3105_so_wideweb__470x288,0
Doesn't look too happy does he? I heard Mr So could be a cutback himself...
Back to top Go down
Metro Transit

PostSubject: Re: John So... The Rail Operator?   John So... The Rail Operator? EmptyThu May 31, 2007 5:03 pm

Well i rekon he wont last long, either he will be voted out, or he will be forced out. It apears yet again fame is not everything.

Metro.
Back to top Go down
Yellow 13
Administrator
Administrator
Yellow 13

PostSubject: Re: John So... The Rail Operator?   John So... The Rail Operator? EmptyThu May 31, 2007 5:05 pm

He spends too much on self-promotion.

MCC cannot afford to run The Met.
Back to top Go down
Metro Transit

PostSubject: Re: John So... The Rail Operator?   John So... The Rail Operator? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2007 11:02 am

So loses himself in Melbourne

Quote :
Emily Power and Georgie Pilcher, Herald Sun, June 01, 2007 11:57am

Quote :
MELBOURNE Lord Mayor John So has pulled the plug on a multi-million dollar campaign launch, as he ducks criticism about council finances.

Melbourne's winter events campaign launch was cancelled today after the Lord Mayor's no-show.

Cr So was scheduled to appear in Niagara Lane off Little Bourke St with Tourism Minister Tim Holding at 9.30am, but pulled out just before 9am.

A Melbourne City Council spokeswoman told the Herald Sun Online the Lord Mayor was "double booked", and the launch for the city's $2.3 million 'Lose yourself in Melbourne' winter marketing campaign would go ahead without him.

But 20 minutes later Mr Holding's office told waiting media the event would be postponed because of Cr So's "unavailability".

The "Lose yourself in Melbourne" advertising campaign is joint-funded by the State Government.

A forlorn-looking lone performer in fishnets, booked to appear with Mr Holding and Cr So, was ushered inside a building away from the cameras.

Later, council chief executiveDavid Pitchford was at a loss as to where the Mayor was.

Asked if he knew where Cr So was and why he had failed to appear at the launch, Mr Pitchford said he didn't know.

``I don't know the ins and outs of the Lord Mayor's program.

``Why don't you ask him?'' he said.

Mr Pitchford was surprised to hear the council had denied journalists information as to the Lord Mayor's whereabouts, but denied he was hiding out in the Town Hall.

``The Lord Mayor's program is not totally known to me,'' Mr Pitchford said.

``But, if he was not there this morning there would have been a good reason for it.''

The Lord Mayor's latest controversy comes amid an ongoing stoush at Town Hall.

The Herald Sun today reported Melbourne ratepayers could face credit card and EFTPOS surcharges on bills as the council seeks an extra $4 million to balance the budget.

Some big ticket items may be slashed, including $1.85 million plans to light the Tan running track, in a bid to stop a slide into the red.

Cr So has continued to side-step questions about whether he is to blame for the council's troubles.

Well now he doesn't want to come out, from Town Hall. Thats one step closer to being told to get lost.

Metro.
Back to top Go down
R700

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-06-01

PostSubject: Re: John So... The Rail Operator?   John So... The Rail Operator? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2007 3:09 pm

I don't care who runs the network, as long as the PTUA don't get their mits on it.

James farao
Back to top Go down
http://hansonator.fotopic.net
Mr Spark
Station Worker
Station Worker
Mr Spark

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-05-29

PostSubject: Re: John So... The Rail Operator?   John So... The Rail Operator? EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 4:07 am

I don't like So, he's Chinese...
Back to top Go down
Yellow 13
Administrator
Administrator
Yellow 13

PostSubject: Re: John So... The Rail Operator?   John So... The Rail Operator? EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 4:21 am

Mr Spark wrote:
I don't like So, he's Chinese...
I don't like missed-a-spark, he's racist...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: John So... The Rail Operator?   John So... The Rail Operator? Empty

Back to top Go down

John So... The Rail Operator?
Page 1 of 1