Rail Victoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for railways based in the state of Victoria, Australia.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pay phone on an Alstom Comeng

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Metro Transit

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2007-05-19

Pay phone on an Alstom Comeng Empty
PostSubject: Pay phone on an Alstom Comeng   Pay phone on an Alstom Comeng EmptySun Jun 03, 2007 3:09 pm

I went to the ARHS Museum at North Williamstown today with Old Man Emu, the museum was good, it was my first time there, too lots of pics.

On the way out we bought some old news rail mags, and so when i got home i had a read through them, i was reading one about the referbs being done to the Comengs by Alstom and it said that the first Comeng to be launched after the referb had a pay phone.

That Alstom Comeng was 517M. My question is, would all referbished Alstom comengs have had phones put in? If they would have, would there have been one per 3 car set? or would all M carriges get them?

The pay phone in 517M was short lived as far as i know, probably would have been trashed, and would have been the reason why they decided not to have them in all trains.

Also, i dont think Telstra would have like having to service them, although it would have been a good contract i reckon.

Metro.
Back to top Go down
Angel_Hater
Station Worker
Station Worker
Angel_Hater

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Pay phone on an Alstom Comeng   Pay phone on an Alstom Comeng EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 6:25 am

I believe it was a trial, never intended to be permanent. I don't know if the set ever ran in public service with the phone.

Incidentally, there was also a trial of a phone in a Sprinter a bit earlier. You had to buy a card from the conductor to use it.

But really, by the time trials had happened the rise of mobile phones had made them redundant.
Back to top Go down
Metro Transit

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2007-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Pay phone on an Alstom Comeng   Pay phone on an Alstom Comeng EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 11:38 am

If these, had of gone into service, could it be possible for them to work in City Loop? Although i suspect they would have ran off wireless, it might not have been possible.

Metro.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pay phone on an Alstom Comeng   Pay phone on an Alstom Comeng Empty

Back to top Go down

Pay phone on an Alstom Comeng
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rail Victoria :: Discussions :: Melbourne (Suburban)-
Jump to: